Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ma! That nice young man on TV is talking back!

Recently at my job I was promoted to "Social Media Analyst" which is an amazing opportunity and allows me to do some really interesting work and pay attention to things that now hold more significant meaning and implications; especially concerning where we're all headed when it comes to "social" connections and interactions.

Recently the Old Spice Marketing campaign has me reeling with the possibilities of where we are at and where we go from here. Advertising has always been there as a normal part of life for me and you occasionally see some really interesting campaigns that leave you chatting around the water cooler for a few days...but nothing like this. This is THE example of viral marketing to follow. The commercials are clever and have you watching over and over again. Isaiah Mustafa is an amazing specimen of manhood and can play his roll with such sincerity and composure that one wonders how he doesn't just break into laughter with the over-the-top ridiculous of it all. And to one up the already creative genius of the campaign, Old Spice is now featuring Isaiah Mustafa standing in a shower with nothing but a towel responding to various forms of social media directed to him and Old Spice. It's like touching greatest. It really brings a product and an actor into full focus of reality rather than a nicely put together attempt to sell you something. Oh sure... don't get me wrong...they're still trying to sell you something and they're selling it well.

Just yesterday we were in Target and my husband needed some deodorant. I happen to be standing next to them while he looked for some shaving products. As I looked, I picked up a container of Old Spice and said, "Here...use this." Now, I would have NEVER picked up Old Spice prior to this new campaign. To me, Old Spice was something old men well past their prime used; musty smelling old men trying to exude what they thought manhood should be. As a market researcher I can only imagine how the entire campaign went in trying to figure out how to make Old Spice young, hip and cool. I can see the focus groups now:

Researcher: "So...what do you think of when you think of Old Spice".
Respondent 1: "My grandpa. He's senile. He used Old Spice to cover up the stench of urine."
Researcher: "I see...and how about you?"
Respondent 2: "Old Spice? Is that some expensive spice you get at Whole Foods?"
Respondent 3: "Ha! But seriously...does anyone under the age of 70 even use Old Spice? I don't think anyone in their right mind would touch that stuff."

So, they change formulas (the original sent is still lurking...) and added new products to the line. But most importantly they created the greatest marketing campaign to date. People feel like they are apart of the product and even though they're constantly selling and getting it in your head you should use their product they are doing it in a way that fits, make sense and in unobtrusive. Humor is power. People are seeking out whatever they can concerning Isaiah Mustafa and Old Spice. They are going to the product, they product has to put little effort in getting to them. I spent an hour yesterday watching the viral replies and laughed at each one. I wanted more... in the end, I made my husband buy Old Spice, something neither of us thought would ever happen. Now, if only I could get him to bake me cake and leave how to swan dive the world would be a better place...maybe I'll start with buying a monocle. MONOCLE SMILE!

Here's what I wonder though... how in the world will they top this? What's next? I expect great things from you Old Spice...great things.

A few to wet your whistle and understand this pure genius: