Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rambling Introductions

It's amazing to me that I've NEVER actually blogged. People keep asking, "do you keep a blog"? I typically smile and sheepishly tell them "no". After all, how strange for someone who has researched technology, video games and online communities for the past decade to not have a blog. The truth of why I've never blogged is two fold. First, I never thought I had anything important enough to say. Second, I've never had time. Now that I'm older I don't care so much if what I'm saying is perceived as important. It's important to me so I suppose that's what matters. I have spent the past week looking through numerous blogs and realized that no one truly has anything so important that they *should* be blogging, rather it's a way to *feel* connected (and feeling connected often makes us feel important) in our hyper-real communicative culture. So, with the thought of casting my net to feel connected and to perhaps feel important, I decided to start blogging. Plus, I have to give props to my two co-workers who blog. As I enjoy reading their blogs, it inspired me to start. Yeah...we all have a little lemming in us.

Now the time aspect is a completely different matter.
I still don't HAVE time. My day starts at 4am and ends around 11 or Midnight. I think I've finally just given up on sleep (okay, that'a a lie but maybe doing something "productive" like blogging will help ease the separation anxiety I have with missing my dear old friend sleep).
I have a newborn, 2 school aged kids, 3 dogs, I'm going full steam ahead with my PhD research, and oh...did I mention I work full time? Yes...it's chaotic, it's insane, it's extremely busy but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. My life may be a lot of things but it's NEVER dull.

So, with that out of the way, what can you expect to find here? I am a PhD candidate doing research in video games so expect to hear ALOT about video games, anthropology, and the research process in general. I'm also a geek by nature so expect to see a variety of geekery in various forms (books, movies, TV...). And occasionally you'll hear about the insanity of what happens when all the different hats I wear intersect in meaningful and blog worthy ways.